Friday, May 19, 2006

A change in outlook

Before orientation, I never considered what it meant to be a Chips Quinn Scholar. But after four short hours, my outlook is different. I have such an immense feeling of pride to be among the 1,020 ranks of this program. It truly is an honor to be a Chipster for the Summer of 2006 and a Chips Quinn alum thereafter, an honor that in many ways I do not feel I deserve. My concerns before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday consisted of “I hope I’m going to make a good impression,” “What should I wear?” “I hope I don’t have to write any news stories.” How trivial they were compared to what I’m thinking now: “How am I going to make the Chips Quinn family proud?” Upholding the Chips Quinn name is what I most aspire to do. It’s a charge to work hard in our nation’s newsrooms and to bring diversity not only in color but in reporting. It is also knowledge, understanding and acceptance of the responsibility that comes with such a charge.


-- Michele Brown, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Times Daily, Florence, Ala.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home