Friday, May 19, 2006

News moments in history

The video on the Newseum was the most inspiring presentation last evening. In the video, there were many of the most famous news moments in history, from the fall of the Berlin Wall to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11. The video reminded me of why I wanted to become a journalist. Ever since I was a child watching historical documentaries with my father, I have been fascinated with history. Later in my teens, I decided I wanted to become a witness to it. I took special note of the late Eddie Adams, who spoke on the video. Adams said that a good photo makes you either laugh or cry. His words come from experience and made me think of his famous photograph of the Viet Cong prisoner being shot. Although I have heard that he later was not fond of the photograph, there is no doubt that his photograph had a profound affect on America’s public opinion of the Vietnam War.

Another great presentation was by Maria Montoya of The Times-Picayune. Her experience during Hurricane Katrina reminded me that journalism is not only a career, but a family. Her description of how Chips Quinn alumni -- even ones she did not know -- offered to come to her aide reinforces that philosophy. Her experience makes me feel lucky to be part of the Chips Quinn Program. Although I have not met everybody yet, I look forward to building lifelong relationships and make friends this weekend.

-- Shih Fa Kao, San Jose State University, The Santa Fe New Mexican

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home