Thursday, June 01, 2006

News from the crime beat

I am officially known in Monroe as “The Yankee from Detroit.”

Fortunately, it is a term of endearment. Everyone has been very helpful, even speaking slowly so I can decipher accents and teasing me that crimes here pale in comparison to what goes on back home. (That, by the way, is not true. They're about the same).

My first full week here has been interesting to say the least -- chasing fires, reporting on naked men stabbing to death dogs and visiting the jail. It has been pretty eventful. I know I would have been terrified if not for everyone at the orientation telling us that our editors expect us to make mistakes and that everyone is there to help. My editors reiterated these points when I started. Everything has given me the confidence to be able to prance around the newsroom one day and brag that ever since I started making police calls, they have had stories in the paper!

I love this job.


-- Sharryn L. Harvey, Wayne State University, The News-Star, Monroe, La.
--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home