Sunday, May 21, 2006

A glimpse into the future


Sue Stock (2000 Scholar) , retail reporter, and Javier Serna, growth reporter, of The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C., spoke about developing story ideas.


I’m a student at Southern Illinois University, so it did my heart good to meet a former Saluki at orientation. In Javier Serna, I got a glimpse into my future – the very near future. Serna (of The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.) is a Freedom Forum ASNE/APME Fellow, and his memories of SIU’s school paper, the Daily Egyptian, are vivid. The former sports writer knew the location of the desk where I sit. We talked for only a moment, but it has resonated throughout the day. Suddenly, I’m more aware of where this program is going to take me.



-- Kyle Means, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, The Wausau (Wis.) Daily Herald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home