Saturday, May 20, 2006

Talking editor to editor

Julio Morales and Katie Oyan during a session for copy editors.


Today I was able to have several discussions with Chips Quinn alum and editor Katie Oyan. I am very happy Oyan joined us this weekend because she was able to give me a lot of information on the differences in editing for a wire service compared to a print publication. I have been nervous about my lack of knowledge on how a news service works. She was able to thoroughly answer all of my questions and put most of my worries at ease. She also was incredibly approachable and willing to let the other copy editors in on many of her copy-editing techniques.

I didn’t think I would be able to have such an intimate question-and-answer session with someone who has had the experience of both print-publication editing and wire-service editing, so the time with her was a pleasant surprise. The two discussions with Oyan have provided me with incredibly valuable tips and information that will help me throughout my Summer at Gannett News Service.

-- Stephanie Clary, University of Colorado, Gannett News Service

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home