Saturday, May 20, 2006

Trying and liking new things

My acceptance as a Chips Quinn Scholar has opened the door to many new experiences for me. I took my first trip on an airplane by myself just a few days ago. Once I arrived in Washington D.C., I experienced another first. I took the subway by myself with minimal instructions on what to do and how to do it. Although these experiences may be ordinary for many people, they were significant to me. I’m usually surrounded by friends and family, so it was a nice change to have to rely only on myself. Yet these small instances of independence will pale in comparison to my Summer internship. I will be five hours from my family and in a place I am unfamiliar with. Even though I am still a little nervous about moving so far away, I’m starting to believe that it won’t be so bad. My experience in Washington shows me that I can try something new and like it. I now find myself looking forward to being in a environment different from the one I’m used to.


-- Jeannine Aquino, University of Minnesota, The Post-Crescent, Appleton, Wis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home