Friday, May 19, 2006

A flashback and a look ahead

Sitting with Scholars at dinner last night, I found myself thinking about my own orientation, now (gulp!) six years ago. I remember the awe I felt when I saw Washington, D.C., from the Freedom Forum's magnificent rooftop for the first time. And I remember the intimidation I felt. Most of all, I remember the questions: How did I get here? Will I be good enough? What if I fail? And what if I succeed?

Now coming back to orientation as an alum, I have new questions. Where will these Scholars be six years from now? Where will I be? And how will our paths cross again?

In six years, I will still be a proud Chips Quinn alum, and I hope all of these Scholars will then be my colleagues. They are on the right path. I don't know if they realize yet what an amazing family they have joined.

-- Sue Stock, retail reporter, The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.
(Sue Stock was a Summer 2000 Scholar at the Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle. She also is an ASNE/APME Fellow through the Freedom Forum.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home