Friday, May 19, 2006

A missing friend




Illness kept career coach Dick Thien from orientation. But his spirit and love of words were present in a small-group session for copy editors. From left: Julio Morales; alum Katie Oyan of The Associated Press; "Dick on a Stick;" Stephanie Clary, Cynthia Hernandez and Farideh Dada.


My day Thursday didn't officially start until about 4 p.m. when I got dressed and met the other Chipsters downstairs in the hotel to walk to the Freedom Forum for the start of orientation. Dinner was beautiful. The food was spectacular, as was the incredible view from the 22nd floor! I kept finding myself marveling at the view from the window, with the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument in the distance, reminding me of how special this whole event is.

Before I finish up this first entry, it has to be said that Karen Catone’s introduction of “Dick on a Stick” was hilarious. I'm sad that (career coach) Dick Thien isn't able to be here this weekend, as I had a great conversation with him over the phone in December when he called to tell me about a letter (journalism professor) Felix Gutierrez wrote on my behalf.

I'm excited about the things to come.


-- Joyce Tse, (shown above at right) University of Southern California, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home