Friday, May 19, 2006

Striving for impact

Less than a week ago, I watched my sister graduate from law school at UC-Berkeley. She received an award for her commitment to social justice and civil rights for her countless hours of pro-bono work. The award was for all of the sacrifices she made for those who have no voice. Throughout my college career, she told me to make an effort to help those who need it, but I never listened. I didn't think I would be able to make such an impact. “There are too few people committed to social justice ... especially in journalism,” I told her. But at our welcome reception, I saw that there are people who are committed. We've come here for the same purpose -- to make an impact on our communities by giving a voice to people of color. There might not be many of us, but we can and will pass on the legacy. And after a four-hour opening night, I'm already proud to call myself a Chipster.


-- Sona Patel, University of California-Irvine, The Tribune, San Luis Obispo, Calif.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home