Friday, May 19, 2006

Opening my eyes to journalism

When I signed up for my high school journalism class, it was for superficial reasons. It was an easy A, a free pass to wander the halls during first period. Our class was laid back and fun. But when my class took a trip to the Newseum in Arlington, Va., I saw for the first time that journalism is a very serious field. I had relished being allowed to write quirky stories about students’ favorite lollipop flavors and hip hop remixes. I still love that about journalism. But the Newseum gave me a new perspective. I saw journalism as a way to make a real impact on society and the world. When the Newseum closed, I was heartbroken. Seeing the video preview (of the new Newseum to open in 2007 on Pennsylvania Avenue) reminded me of the impact the original Newseum had on my perception of the press. I can’t wait until the Newseum opens. I am confident that it will inspire other potential journalists the way it inspired me. Knowing that the Chips Quinn Scholars Program is associated with the Freedom Forum -- and thus with the Newseum -- is very encouraging. I’m happy to be part of it – it feels like fate.


-- Bethonie Butler, University of Maryland, The Providence (R.I.) Journal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home