Monday, July 24, 2006

Proof I'm on the right path

What’s the best way to sum up my copy-editing internship at the Montgomery Advertiser thus far? Swell, fabulous and awesome come to mind.

I’ve gone from spending eight hours each day editing and writing headlines for wire stories to editing local stories and to designing pages. I’ve done the business page many times and the three-page Alabama section a few times. I love it. If being at school hadn’t been enough, this experience definitely is enough to convince me that the path I’ve chosen is a good one. For that, I sincerely thank the Chips Quinn Scholars Program and the Montgomery Advertiser.

But it’s not just the job that I enjoy. From the moment I stepped into the newsroom, everybody was friendly and quick to point out things we had in common. In fact, some of us had so much in common that when I got back to my room I immediately sent an e-mail to my school adviser gushing about how I’d “found my people!”

At the time, it just seemed like a fun and funny thing to say. But as the weeks have gone on, blending from one week to the next in all-too-fast a fashion, I’ve realized that I really meant it.


-- Cynthia Hernandez, University of Kansas, Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home