Monday, May 22, 2006

Learning from others

Chrystal Johnson (left) and Kristi Hsu talk with Margaret Holt, senior editors/standards of the Chicago Tribune. Holt spoke about inaccuracies and corrections. "Take responsibility for your work." Admit mistakes and learn from them, Holt told the group. “We have to have each other’s backs. We all have to look out for and pick up the journalistic trash on the floor. If you touch it, you own it.”


This weekend has given me a fresh perspective on teamwork and the ability to learn from others, no matter who they are and how they may differ from me. I’ve learned new things from journalists who could be my grandparents, and I learned a very valuable life lesson from a student journalist 10 years younger. This weekend has reinforced my conviction to keep learning from others no matter who they are. Everyone has a story, and you can always learn something new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home