Monday, May 22, 2006

Stepping up

Growing up in Montana with its limited diversity had some drawbacks. As a Native American, I’ve been fortune to find a strong cultural base on my reservation and in my school. But people still manage to say and do hurtful things. The worst thing anyone ever said about me came right after my birth. My mother -- who is 5 foot, 5 inches; blonde; and blue-eyed -- brought me to a baby shower. Imagine her surprise when people asked where she had adopted me and, even worse, when people said I’d never amount to anything because of my Indian blood.

My mom told me this story when I graduated from high school. And today as Keith Woods (of The Poynter Institute) talked about our greatest fears, I realized mine. I’ll always be afraid that someone out there is waiting for -- and expecting me -- to fail because I’m Native. I feel I’m stepping up for everyone who is Native. Knowing that I’m paving a road helps me curb that fear. But it always will be with me.


-- Jasa Santos, University of Montana, Billings (Mont.) Gazette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home