Sunday, July 30, 2006

Journalism's impact on me

For a long time now, the dream of one day becoming a sports columnist has lingered in my mind. I’ve been infatuated with the idea of bringing a keen journalistic flavor to pages. I’d engross readers by blending my own style with a cup of Scoop Jackson and a pint of Rick Reilly.

Those plans are still in the mix. But at the midpoint in my 11-week internship as a general-assignment reporter with The Providence Journal, I’m slowly starting to acquiesce to the idea of becoming a news reporter. Our impact -- from those fluffy features that have the power to lift our readers’ spirits to those hard news stories that convey urgent information when needed -- is tremendous. So at this junction, I’m stuck -- but in good way. I’m committed to journalism, and whether my name appears in the sports, business or metro section, what-have-you, I know the impact is real.

What’s more, is the impact that daily journalism has had on me. It’s been humanizing and enriching. I learned about the processes of aquaculture farming (growing shellfish) and the making of lyra de gambas (a bowed stringed instrument). Yes, at first I thought, “What?” and then I started to enjoy what I was learning. It’s because of journalism that these experiences were afforded to me. And for that, I’ll be forever dedicated and grateful to the craft.


-- Justin Amoah, Brown University, The Providence (R.I.) Journal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home