Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A mentor and teacher lost

I planned to tell the story of a quirky little town called Muskogee, Okla., and some of the interesting characters who reside there. My plans took a turn one morning when News Editor Ed Choate rushed everyone into the executive editor’s office. On our way into the office, I teased the weekend-section editor, Leif Wright, that he really must have done something wrong this time. The office was empty when we got there but filled up quickly. It felt like I already knew when I saw the empty office. Ed followed everyone in, stood by the desk and said with a sigh, “Kristi died last night.”

This quirky little town and the interesting characters all of a sudden became more serious. Immediately, I felt sympathy for those in the newsroom who knew the executive editor of the Muskogee Daily Phoenix long enough to be his friends. I thought of Kristi Fry’s family and then of the people of Muskogee.

In Kristi’s office the conversation turned to informing the rest of the staff and the public. I chuckled when Phoenix Publisher Larry Corvi said, “I think we need to get it online as soon as possible because that’s the way Kristi would want it.” I thought, “Yup, that’s a journalist for you.”

I knew Kristi for only about a month. But during that time, it was clear to me that he was someone who really cared about his community and his newsroom.

There are a lot of working poor in Muskogee, with 23% of the population earning less than $15,000 a year. When that statistic was presented to us in a meeting, Kristi said: “We’ve got to find the stories that will help make the lives of these people a little easier.” I knew then that he was exceptional.

It’s hard to say what I’ve gained from my internship beyond the obvious. I’ve gained breaking-news experience, met many kind people who have shared their stories with me and I’ve gained knowledge from editors and reporters who have helped me along the way. With the loss of Kristi Fry, I know that I lost the chance to be mentored by an incredibly intelligent and caring teacher.

It’s been up to Ed to work with me since Kristi’s death. Ed is also caring, friendly and on your rear when he sees that it’s fit. He has given me the chance to learn and experience new things. I think that’s the way Kristi would have wanted it. But I’m still saddened that I didn’t really get to know Kristi Fry.

-- Virginia Perez, South Dakota State University, Muskogee (Okla.) Daily Phoenix and Times-Democrat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home